Surviving a Power Outage

Two nights ago, Mr. Dependable and I woke up to what sounded like a spoon going down the garbage disposal. The bedroom window was open, and a very intense storm was raging. The lightning was almost constant, and the wind and rain were so loud they drowned out the sound of the thunder. We got out of bed to close all the windows, turned on the lights, and all of a sudden, they flickered off. We lost power.

I promptly went back to sleep. We live in a bi-level, so everyone’s bedroom is essentially in the basement. Plus I love storms. So I wasn’t worried.

Well, I proceeded to dream that the power came back on and all was good. So in the morning when I woke up, I told him I was glad the power came back on. He had just gotten ready for work, and he looked at me like I was crazy. I guess I am. Still no power.

Our daily life was surprisingly normal without power despite the “Do not open!” signs plastered on the fridge and freezer. Finding a suitable breakfast was a bit of a challenge with no refrigerated items, no toaster and no stove. We managed though. Today’s breakfast menu: Apples/Oranges and animal crackers.

Chores were definitely different. Usually I have the Girls help me unload and load the dishwasher, straighten the house, and maybe do a little laundry. As we hand washed the dishes, Pink(my 8 year old) reminisced about how we moved here 6 months ago, and how nice it was to have a dishwasher. It’s really nice to see the kids get some perspective on how blessed we really are. Since we couldn’t do laundry, we didn’t spend too much extra time on chores by hand washing dishes.

We decided to paint out nails today. The kids got minions. We used Googly eyes!Despicable me fingernails

Mr. Dependable borrowed a generator to power our fridge. The signs came down.

Then we took a drive around the neighborhood to see how everyone fared. Here are some pictures.

Damaged roof

A tree fell on this house

Kaukauna tornado

This is a little sketchy


Kaukauna tornado

Yep. That’s an outhouse


We went to the store to buy food to grill out. (Since we have an electric stove) We bought hamburgers and potato salad. We had some hot dogs and corn on the cob at home. It turned out to be a pretty great meal! I was surprised not to see more of the neighbors grilling out. They must all have gas stoves.  (Lucky!)

When we got home I was tired and frustrated, so we decided it was time for some coffee. We could heat up the water on the grill and use the French press. But…. We forgot we bought whole bean coffee.

Oh well, we busted out the molcajete (mortar and pestle) and put the kiddos to work!

Mortar and pestle

Kids Grinding coffee in the Molcahete

Coffee ground with a mortar and pestle

It worked!

It turned out pretty well. I was impressed.

When it started to get dark we dug out some flashlights, candles, and some glow sticks we had left over from the 4th of July. The kids were pretty excited about the glow sticks. We all wore one around out neck. That worked great! We could just walk around the house by the light of the glow sticks. I might consider keeping some around the house for emergencies. I’m not sure how useful they would be in a zombie apocalypse though.

All in all it was more of an adventure than a terrible disaster. I was told it would be 3 days to a week before the power came back on! But it was really only about 36 hours.

I was almost a little disappointed when the lights finally did come back on. Funny, seconds later the generator ran out of gas.

Well our family survived. We await our next adventure!


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>